Saturday, December 6, 2008

More homegrown edibles

So what else is edible on 100_0864the balcony? There are pots of my favorite basil, which has been extremely handy. If not mistaken, what I have is Chinese basil. The most distinguish feature of this species with holly basil and sweet basil is that it has pinkish flowers, while holly basil has larger dark green leaves, and sweet basil has got green colored flowers. Fragrant and fresh, it blends especially well with meat dishes. Besides that, it also adds extra zest to tom-yam friend rice as well pastas.

100_0867

I absolutely adore sour and spicy food. That is the reason why I cannot live without Thai food. Green curry has been one of the best known dishes originated from Thailand. Ever noticed the small round and green vegetable? Yes, those are aubergines, or rather better known as eggplants or brinjals. The plant I have is still pretty young. According to a Thai friend, it has to be taller than a human being before any harvesting can be done. I guess I won’t be getting anything out from the tree for a while. Hopefully it will survive the heat.

No comments: