Thursday, September 1, 2011

A culinary rendezvous in Ipoh

A short stop-over in Ipoh on my trip back from Kuala Lumpur proved to be quite an interesting rendezvous. The sleepy little town (as known to me during my younger years) was jammed with vehicles from outstation and local alike. It was almost mid day, thus everyone was out hunting for food!

Hungry dinnersSo what is the most anticipated food one can find in Ipoh? Me and my friends went to have a taste of Lou Wong chicken rice (my first ever!) for the fun of it. The dining crowd was overwhelming, cannot believe that people are actually willing to wait for tables to satisfy their hunger. They even had additional awnings setup to accommodate the stream of vacationers. Whew was it hot!

Bean sproutsSteamed chickenHor Fun
Lunch consisted of a huge serving of crunchy bean sprouts, 1/2 smooth steamed chicken, and 2 bowls of melt-in-your-mouth Hor Fun each. Due to my “size”, I stuck mostly to my portions of Hor Fun and bean sprouts. Ok, I did indulge myself in a few small pieces of chicken to be honest. We tried to enjoy ourselves despite of having people watched us like packs of wolves, ready to fight until the end for our table.

Herbal teaTo sum up the hard work of pleasing our pellets, we quenched our thirst and washed all the food down with cold herbal tea. Nothing can be more satisfying than a glass of cold drink during a hot humid day!

The meal cost $38 which was still an acceptable amount for 3 person, taking popularity of the eatery into consideration. People are willing to pay exorbitant prices for food after all (not all the time for myself though, unless I consider them money well spent). City dwellers no longer eat to live but live to eat, don’t you agree?

Had to again endure the heavy traffic on our way out from Ipoh town, but this time a more pleasant experience with full tummies. Once is never enough, perhaps on a more lazy and easy day in future.

Au revoir Ipoh!

No comments: